Dandruff is a skin condition that mainly affects the scalp.
Symptoms include flaking and sometimes mild itchiness.
It can result in social or self-esteem problems.
A more severe form of the condition, which includes inflammation of the skin, is known as seborrhoeic dermatitis.
The cause is unclear but believed to involve a
– number of genetic and environmental factors.
– The condition may worsen in the winter.
– It is not due to poor hygiene.
– The underlying mechanism involves the over growth of skin cells.
Dandruff affects about half of adults.
Onset is usually at puberty.
Males are more often affected than females. Rates decrease after the age of 50.
The signs and symptoms of dandruff are
– An itchy scalp and flakiness.
– Red and greasy patches of skin.
– A tingly feeling on the skin are also symptoms.
Antifungal treatments including ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione and selenium disulfide have been found to be effective.
Ketoconazole appears to have a longer duration of effect.
Ketoconazole is a broad spectrum antimycotic agent.
Shampoos use a combination of special ingredients to control dandruff.
Home remedy- Lemon juice is considered good for the treatment of Dandruff but it causes dry skin so not advisable for people with dry hairs and skin.